The Bitossi family’s connection with ceramics can be traced to the 1870s, but the advent of Bitossi as a major modern pottery brand came in 1921, when Guido Bitossi founded Manifattura Cavaliere Bitossi e Figlia in Montelupo Fiorentino, near Florence. After Aldo Londi was promoted to artistic director in 1946, Bitossi’s ceramic designs took on his wonderfully whimsical, imaginative and modern style. His designs achieved an inspired combination of functionality and aesthetics. Londi also encouraged other talented designers to create works for Bitossi — Ettore Sottsass and Piero Fornasetti, among others. The Bitossi company is still in business today, although this vintage piece dates to the late 1960s.