The Bitossi family’s connection with ceramics dates back to the 1870s. But the true beginning of the modern pottery was in 1921, when Guido Bitossi founded Manifattura Cavaliere Bitossi e Figlia in Montelupo Fiorentino, near Florence. After Aldo Londi was promoted to artistic director in 1946, Bitossi’s ceramic designs took on his wonderfully whimsical, imaginative and modern style. His designs were a truly an inspired combination of functionality and aesthetics. Londi also encouraged other talented designers to create for Bitossi, such as Ettore Sottsass and Piero Fornasetti. The Bitossi company is still in business today, although this vintage piece dates to the late 1960s.