Be buoyed aloft on chrome cantilevers on this classic of high modern design, the famous Brno Chair. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich collaborated on the original design in 1927 for Mies’ full-concept design Villa Tugendhat in Brno, Czech Republic, from which location the chair style takes its name. Lateral arcs of steel form arms, legs and structural support in a single polished piece—an object lesson in modernist reductionism and form-function efficiency. The Brno chairs in the Tugendhat House were made of tubular steel—all except one, in the bedroom, which, like this one, featured flat-bar steel construction. The flat-bar remained a one-off until 1958, when architect and Mies-devotee Philip Johnson set in motion its mass production. Upholstered in soft black leather, this slick classic offers a seat as smooth as its design. From Knoll.